Sajith promises midday meal to schoolchildren
New Democratic Front presidential candidate Sajith Premadasa, yesterday, said that if he was elected President, every schoolchild would be given two sets of uniforms and the lunch free of charge.
Addressing a political rally in Deraniyagala, Premadasa said when his father Ranasinghe Premadasa was President he provided 4.3 million schoolchildren with new uniforms and midday meal.
“Our opponents decided to scrap that scheme and now they are trying to hoodwink the voters , Premadasa said.
He said, “I will reintroduce this programme when I am elected President on November 16. I will introduce reforms to strengthen the education sector.”
Premadasa said, that the issue of malnutrition among schoolchildren was appalling and he would solve it.
(Source: The Island – By Wasantha Samarawardena and Somachandra Yakandawala)
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to implement strict law enforcement against religious disharmony May 30, 2023
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
How is he going to afford these things? You just can’t give these things away like this. It is simply verbal diarrhoea.
You are right Ranjith. These people are crying that SL is in so much debt and they want to give away free meals. Kids don’t need free meals. What will happen is that the people in charge will rob half the money and the children will get rubbish for their meals. Then the students will be bring their own lunch and it will be a waste of money. And have they thought long term. How will they be able to carry on this with the country in financial strife. Just another trick to get the votes.
Stanley, only thing they should promised is to give good unbiased genuine Justice system. No meals, no uniforms no job guarantees ( in fact they should cut the work force by 95% and pay little bit extra that and asked them to stay at home) . They promise employment to cram the book and passe the exam stupid graduates. How can you create jobs out of thin air. You can give a bogus title like executive and employ some one but the cost of a loaf of bread will rise to about Rs 1000. Don’t give anything free. Already parts of the country is sold.