Sajith, Ravi to contest for Deputy Leadership
Ravi Karunanayake and Sajith Premadasa are to contest for deputy leadership of the UNP while Dayasiri Jayasekara and Daya Gamage are to contest for the post of National Organizer at tomorrow’s election.
It was reported earlier today that Opposition Leader Ranil Wickramasinghe will nominate Ravi Karunanayake as Deputy Leader of the party and Joseph Michael Perera as Assistant Leader of the United National Party.
The preliminary nominations for the posts of Leader, Deputy Leader, Chairman and National Organizer will be presented at the UNP Working Committee meeting currently taking place at party headquarters Sirikotha.
UNP General Secretary Tissa Attanayake had stated that the Working Committee will consider proposals for appointing new party officials for the year 2012 when it meets today (Dec. 18).
If there are any competitions for any of the posts, another date will be decided upon to hold a secret ballot to determine who would take up the post, he said.
Ravi Karunanayake held the post of National Organizer, appointed by the Working Committee, while Sajith Premadasa was Co-deputy Leader along with Karu Jayasuriya.
UNP Kurunegala District parliamentarian Dayasiri Jayasekara was a one-time vociferous member of the reformist group while Eastern Province Opposition Leader Daya Gamage is a prominent businessman in the country.
Courtesy: Ada Derana
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Official Creditor Committee confirms debt treatment deal with Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka President appoints Deshabandu Tennakoon as acting IGP November 29, 2023
- Creditor nations likely to agree on Sri Lanka debt restructuring – report November 29, 2023
- Netherlands returns six looted colonial-era artefacts to Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023