Samagi Jana Balawegaya submits its proposals for the 21st Amendment to the Constitution
The main opposition Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) has put forward a set of proposals for constitutional amendments including the abolishment of the executive presidency and the 20th Amendment.
The draft resolution was handed over by Opposition Leader Sajith Premadasa to party General Secretary Ranjith Madduma Bandara today morning (April 21), and thereafter it was submitted to the Speaker of Parliament Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena.
In its proposals, abolish the executive presidency, amendment for a tripartite separation of powers in a balanced manner, repeal the 20th Amendment to the Constitution, establishment of independent commissions, as well as the establishment of a National Security Council.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023