Saudi King was willing to pay blood money for Rizana – Minister Keheliya
On the request of Sri Lanka President Mahinda Rajapaksa, the King of Saudi Arabia made every effort to save the life of Riza Nafeek and the Saudi Arabian King was even prepared to pay 3 million Saudi Riyals as blood money to the parents of the dead child without causing any cost to Sri Lanka. However, the parents of the dead child were not willing to accept the blood money and as per the Shariah Laws that is the prevailing Laws in Saudi Arabia Rizana had been executed.
This was disclosed by Minister Keheliya Rambukwella addressing the media personnel after the Cabinet Decisions announcement media conference held at the Committee Room No. 1 of the Parliamentary complex today (10th Jan.).
Source: Government News Portal
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Creditor nations likely to agree on Sri Lanka debt restructuring – report November 29, 2023
- Netherlands returns six looted colonial-era artefacts to Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023
- October sees 20% decline in apparel exports from Sri Lanka November 28, 2023