Seasoned politician as UNP Presidential Candidate
Posted in Local News
Minister of Power and Energy Ravi Karunanayake says an individual who has not even won his electoral seat will not become the UNP Presidential Candidate.
Speaking to media after attending an event in Colombo Minister Karunanayake said the UNP Presidential candidate will be an experience politician.
The Minister noted that it was too early to name the candidate and noted that nobody had put forward a nominee for the next Presidential Election.
The Minister added the UNP will reveal its stance promptly adding the candidate will be suitable, experienced with the ability to ensure the safety of all citizens and to lead the country at National level.
(Source: News Radio)
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka must protect the right to freedom of expression June 9, 2023
- Five-year-old child found dead with cut injuries from a construction site in Mulleriyawa June 9, 2023
The Son of RP should realise that under the 19A, the future President will be a largely ceremonial role. The future President will be the head of Cabinet and Minister for Defence only. The future President, as Head of Cabinet, will direct the Cabinet on economic and social policy only. The future President will not be a ‘doer’.
The Son of RP is a ‘doer’; an achievement oriented person good at dishing out handouts to the community at taxpayer expense. As SL grows towards being a ‘high income nation’, handouts will no longer make economic sense.
The Son of RP should learn to accept the role of the future President and communicate his wishes to his ‘followers’. that will demonstrate his maturity.