Security forces & police given all powers to bring back normalcy – PM
The security forces and police have been given all necessary powers to restore peace and stability to the country, Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe yesterday said in a special address to the nation.
Referring to the country’s current situation, the Mr. Wickremesinghe appealed to the people to support the security forces and police to carry out their tasks.
“Certain groups have created unrest in the North Western Province. They vandalized property. The security forces were able to bring the situation under control. These groups are trying to create more disturbances. This is why the government decided to impose an island-wide curfew,” the PM said.
“Creating more disturbances will prevent the security forces from apprehending the terrorists who are wanted,” he added.
“The country is bound to be destabilized more if disturbances continue. Such a situation will also prevent the people from celebrating Vesak,” he said.
The PM said the security forces were able to carry out successful search operations to arrest many who are responsible for the Easter Sunday carnage.
(Source: Daily Mirror – By Yohan Perera)
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023
- India’s first international cruise from Chennai to Sri Lanka to be flagged off today June 5, 2023
- ‘Sandahiru Seya Charity Trust’ donates Dialysis Machine to Anuradhapura Hospital June 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka records lowest tourism monthly income of US$ 132 Million in May June 5, 2023
- JVP asks public not to be distracted by circuses June 5, 2023
- Litro LP Gas prices in Sri Lanka reduced from today (June 04) June 4, 2023
- Odisha train collision: Sri Lanka President expresses deep sorrow, assures support June 4, 2023
So, does this mean prior to the Easter Sunday Massacre, the Police and Security Forces did not have any powers other than provide security to Politicians and plant vegetables in Kilinochchi?