Seven jumbos found dead in Polonnaruwa
The decomposed carcasses of seven wild elephants lying in a marshy land at Pudur in Onegama in Polonnaruwa were recovered yesterday by the wildlife conservators.
The wild life officials said the four jumbos in the Somawathiya Natinal Park might have bogged down in the marsh and died while roaming in the jungle in search of fodder and water.
Officials said they had recently recovered the carcass of an elephant calf lying in a marshy land in the area.
(Source: Daily Mirror – By K.G.Karunaratne and W.A. Piyathilaka)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s education ministry halts outdoor school activities due to heat February 28, 2024
- Santhan, released convict in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, dies due to illness February 28, 2024
- Suspect wanted over Mahabage shooting killed in clash with STF February 28, 2024
- Ronnie de Mel passes away February 27, 2024
- India to push rupee investments in Sri Lanka February 27, 2024