Several roads in Matara and Galle inundated due to rains Several roads in Matara and Galle inundated due to rains
Several roads in the Matara and Galle Districts have been inundated due to heavy rains in the area the Disaster Management Centre reported.
The Wilpita-Akuressa road and the Kamburupitiya-Mulatiyana road in the Matara District have been inundated while the many roads have been inundated and blocked due to earth slips in Deniyaya, Galle.
The Nuwara-Eliya-Hatton road has been closed again since last night (November 24), the DMC stated.
Meanwhile, heavy rains are said to continue in the next two days, the Meteorological Department reported.
Due to an atmospheric disturbance to the east of Sri Lanka Cloudy skies, showery weather with lightning activities can be expected in the eastern and northern parts during the next few days, it said.
Thundershowers will develop over most parts of the island during the afternoon and night while heavy rain falls (about 150 mm) are also expected at some places.
There may be temporary localized fairly strong winds during thundershowers, the Met Department warned.
Courtesy: Ada Derana
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Defence Ministry refutes reports of ‘lavish spending’ for entertaining military heads December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka moving towards social revolution – Anura December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs US $ 1.4 trillion additional investment to realise SDGs by 2030: IPS study December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Sports Minister appoints new National Sports Council December 4, 2023
- ‘We quit our stressful public sector jobs to earn £150 a month in Sri Lanka’ December 4, 2023