Shani Abeysekara granted bail
Former Criminal Investigations Department (CID) Director Shani Abeysekara was granted bail today together with Sub-Inspector Sugath Mendis.
The Court of Appeal instructed the Gampaha High Court to grant bail to Abeysekara and Mendis.
However, Abeysekera and Mendis are currently under remand custody by the order of the Gampaha Magistrate over the alleged fabrication of evidence for a case filed against former DIG Vass Gunawardena and several others.
Subsequently, the duo filed a revision petition at the Gampaha High Court seeking to be released on bail. However, the Gampaha High Court, which heard the petition, rejected the request of the two defendants including Shani Abeysekera to be released on bail.
Accordingly, the defendants filed a petition in the Court of Appeal seeking reversal of the Gampaha High Court’s decision and their release on bail.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Parliament approves VAT (amendment) Bill December 11, 2023
- Sri Lanka reports 80,222 dengue cases with 47 deaths December 11, 2023
- Sri Lanka Parliament decides to debate VAT (amendment) Bill today December 11, 2023
- ‘Unfair, Really Surprised’: Anjum Chopra on Chamari Athapaththu going unsold at WPL Auction December 11, 2023
- Sri Lankan migrant workers remit 5.4 Billion USD in first 11 months December 10, 2023