SJB hands over no-confidence motion to Speaker against Health Minister Keheliya Rambukwella
The no-confidence motion against Health Minister Keheliya Rambukwella by the Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) was handed over to the Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena today (July 21).
Accordingly, SJB General Secretary Ranjith Madduma Bandara and MP Kavinda Jayawardena and others handed over the motion to the Speaker this afternoon with the signatures of 45 MPs.
The motion was moved over the alleged irresponsible importation of ‘substandard’ medicines and surgical equipment which led to a weakened health sector and even deaths.
The SJB alleges that the government continued to bring in the relevant ‘substandard’ drugs outside of the procurement and registration process considering it to be a state of emergency, and that the move resulted in several deaths at major hospitals across the country.
Meanwhile, Minister Keheliya Rambukwella told the House that he is even ready for a three-day debate on the motion.
“I have much to reveal during the debate,” he said.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023
- IMF chief Kristalina and Sri Lanka President Ranil discuss ongoing reforms and debt restructuring efforts September 21, 2023
- Two killed, two injured in shooting at Avissawella September 21, 2023
- Batticaloa Campus returned to Hizbullah September 20, 2023