SL customs seize 4 million cigarettes
Four million illegally imported cigarettes were seized by the Revenue Task Force (RTF) of the Sri Lanka Customs, this morning.
The approximate street value of the cigarettes haul is over Rs. 100 million, it was reported.
The container carrying illegal cigarette said to contain of nine wooden packages of ‘ Industrial Chilling Machines’ shipped from Hong Kong to two local consignees in Colombo in Mid-July, according to Customs Media Spokesperson, Leslie Gamini.
“It was revealed that bogus addresses were given. On the examination it was found 4,000,000 sticks of branded cigarettes, valued at over Rs. 100 millions,” he added.
Investigations are being carried out by Director of Customs (Revenue Task Force) K.D. Nicholos, Deputy Director Siripala Edirimanne, Supdt. of Customs G.B.Gnanaraj, J.A.S. Jayakody, Harsha Fernando.
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka unexpectedly cuts rates by 250 bps as inflation eases June 1, 2023