Soysapura shooting: Main suspect shot dead in police confrontation
The main suspect of the gunfire attack on a restaurant in Soysapura, Moratuwa has been shot dead by the Police.
Police added teams from the Crimes Prevention Division of Kelaniya and the Peliyagoda District Crimes Investigation Unit were deployed to inspect a house at the Dunagaha, Ballapana area in Minuwangoda, where the suspect was believed to be hiding.
The suspect had opened fire at Police around 12.03 am this morning (07), while the officers fired back in self-defence.
Police revealed the suspect was injured in the shooting and was admitted to the Divulapitiya Hospital, where he succumbed to injuries.
The deceased suspect is a 50 year old temporary resident of Ballapana-Divulapitiya and is identified as an underworld figure connected to several murders. It is reported that the suspect had committed many crimes under various aliases.
Further investigations are carried out by Peliyagoda Divisional Crimes Division and Kelaniya Crimes Division.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Customs seizes Drugs worth over Rs. 60 Million December 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Dengue cases increased to 78,322 December 7, 2023
- Three Sri Lankans, including Ranish Hewage serving in the Ukraine Army killed in Russian attack December 7, 2023
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023