Speaker to be elected through a secret ballot
Posted in Local News
Matara district Parliament-elect Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena is expected to become the Speaker of the Ninth Parliament of Sri Lanka.
During yesterday’s Parliamentary group meeting of the government, members have agreed to propose the name of Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena as the next Speaker.
Names of Ranjith Siyambalapitiya and Angajan Ramanathan will be proposed for the posts of Deputy Speaker and Deputy Chairperson of Committees.
Secretary General of Parliament Dhammika Dasanayake said a secret vote will be held to elect the Speaker, Deputy Speaker and the Deputy Chairperson of Committees of the new Parliament if more than one name was proposed for the respective posts.
(Source: News Radio)
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023