Sri Lanka election candidates hold final rally
The last day of campaigning is underway, ahead of Sri Lanka’s Presidential election. President Mahinda Rajapakse and his rival, former army chief General Sarath Fonseca will hold their final rallies later today. Both candidates are confident of victory in the bitterly fought contest.
The campaign has been marred by more than 700 violent incidents, including the deaths of four civilians. Security forces are on alert, amid fears of further unrest. General Fonseca says armoured personnel carriers have been brought into the capital to suppress opposition supporters. But the government is confident of a free and fair poll.
Voting will take place on Tuesday and results are expected less than 24 hours after the polls close.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President appoints Deshabandu Tennakoon as acting IGP November 29, 2023
- Creditor nations likely to agree on Sri Lanka debt restructuring – report November 29, 2023
- Netherlands returns six looted colonial-era artefacts to Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023