Sri Lanka Government decided to expand fuel distribution
Sri Lankan President Ranil Wickremesinghe said that the government has taken a principled decision to expand the distribution of fuel which is expected to commence shortly.
He made these comments during a discussion with the representatives of the Sinopec Group held at the Presidential Secretariat this morning (March 13).
The representatives from the Sinopec Group confirmed their readiness to invest in the import, storage, distribution, and marketing of fuel to cater to Sri Lanka’s energy requirements.
The representatives informed the Sri Lankan Government that their organisation has adhered to the existing system and has applied accordingly. They further conveyed their readiness to fully finance the construction of a refinery in Hambantota, which has been identified as a central energy hub by the government.
Moreover, the representatives stated that their company is prepared to respond to future solicitations that align with the aspirations of the country.
They also presented their proposal to the President who spoke about the import, storage and distribution of petroleum products.
Expressing his views, President Ranil Wickremesinghe further stated that Sri Lanka expects rapid development following the program with the International Monetary Fund.
President Wickremesinghe also expressed his desire to promote and attract foreign businesses to operate within the country in the future.
Minister of Power and Energy Kanchana Wijesekera, Senior Advisor to the President on National Security and Chief of Presidential Staff Sagala Ratnayake, Secretary to the President Saman Ekanayake, Secretary of the Treasury Mahinda Siriwardena, Secretary of the Ministry of Power and Energy Mapa Pathirana and government officials and representatives of the Sinopec Group participated in the discussion.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023