Sri Lanka police arrest two for bribing life-size cutout
Sri Lankan police have arrested two people who posted a Facebook video showing one of them pretending to give a bribe to a traffic police cutout.
In the footage, a motorcyclist is seen offering money to the life-size figure of an officer with a speed gun in the northern town of Vavuniya.
The man in the video and his friend who filmed it have been released on bail.
They are charged with damaging public property, and humiliating and creating a bad public image of the police.
The cardboard cutout, which police say had its head damaged, is one of many which were placed on main roads last year to deter speeding and dangerous driving.
A few months ago, local police arrested two youths who had taken one home.
(BBC – By Azzam Ameen)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- U.S. Deputy Secretary of State commends Sri Lanka’s economic efforts February 23, 2024
- Nightlife will play a vital role in Sri Lanka’s economic growth and tourist experience February 23, 2024
- Moon landing today: US clinches first touchdown in 50 years February 23, 2024
- Johnston Fernando requests immediate probe into Sanath Nishantha’s death February 22, 2024
- CEB Spokesman Noel Priyantha resigns over controversial remarks February 22, 2024