Sri Lanka recalls Upul Tharanga for final ODI vs. Australia
Posted in Sports News
Sri Lanka has recalled experienced batsman Upul Tharanga for the fifth one-day international against Australia after captain Angelo Mathews was ruled out of the rest of the tour with a calf injury.
Sri Lanka also included batsman Niroshan Dickwella and allrounder Dasun Shanaka in its 16-man squad for Sunday’s match.
Spin bowler Lakshan Sandakan and allrounder Thisara Perera were left out.
Usually an opening batsman, Tharanga had not been able to hold a regular spot in the team but returned relatively good performances batting at No.7 during Sri Lanka’s recent tour of England.
Australia has already secured the series 3-1.
(AP / The Hindu)
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya remanded till June 7 May 28, 2023
- Fuel quota to be increased from Tuesday May 28, 2023
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to Issue digital birth certificates May 28, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya arrested over remarks on Buddhism May 28, 2023
- Veteran Diplomat Jayantha Dhanapala passes away May 27, 2023
Good move, but too late. When experience playes such as Sanga, Mahela, Dilshan leave the team SL selectors worry about lack of experience in the national team. Then we do not give more chances to players like Thisara and Sekkuge Prassana. Tharanga was with the side who got thrashed in England and he was asked to bat in the lower order. He did well. It is questionable the decision of the selectors for not included in the limited over side in the home series against Auz. There is no consistency in current Sri Lankan cricket team. But do not expect miracles from Tharanga after including him in the last game.