Sri Lanka refuses entry to British tourist with Buddha tattoo
– Submitted by Walter Jayawardhana –
COLOMBO: Sri Lankan immigration authorities have deported a British national who had arrived on holiday to the island.
The Briton, who arrived here yesterday, was quizzed by the authorities at Bandaranaike International Airport as he was having images of Buddha tattooed all over his body. The Briton explained that it was his free personal choice.
The act was deemed offensive to the majority Sinhalese community, who constitute 74 per cent of Lanka’s population.
The airport officials in consultation with their seniors decided not to allow him an entry.
British tourists are the second largest inbound travel market in the island’s booming tourism industry after Indians.
Sri Lanka has a majority of population, around 74 per cent, from Sinhalese community (Courtesy: The Times of India)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023