SRI LANKA RELEASES INDIAN FISHERMEN ON HUMANITARIAN GROUNDS
Onlanka News – by Walter Jayawardhana
Indian External Minister S.M. Krishna said the Twenty-three Tamil Nadu fishermen, arrested by Sri Lankan Navy on July 22 when they were fishing near Katchatheevu in the Palk Straits, have been released.
The Indian High Commission was making all arrangements for their return, Mr Krishna said at a joint press conference with his Indonesian counterpart Marty M Natalegawa in Delhi.
Their release today came a day after Krishna appealed to Sri Lanka to immediately set free the fishermen, who were also accused of ramming their boats into Lankan naval ships, on humanitarian grounds.
In Rameswaram in Tamil Nadu, President of Innocent Fishermen’s Association, Arulanandam said that the fishermen, arrested
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023