Sri Lanka starts nationwide raid on those hoarding fuel
Sri Lankan police on Sunday started a nationwide raid on those hoarding diesel or petrol for resale, a police spokesman told journalists in Colombo.
Police spokesman Nihal Thalduwa said they had received information that a large number of those queuing at gas stations are buying fuel to resell at higher prices.
This was causing great inconvenience for the people as long queues persist despite availability of fuel, said Thalduwa.
Meanwhile, Minister of Power and Energy Kanchana Wijesekera said that a ship carrying petrol started unloading in Colombo on Saturday night.
Another ship carrying petrol will arrive on May 25, the minister said.
Sri Lanka has been facing a severe foreign exchange shortages, leading to fuel shortages for the past few months.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023