Sri Lankan First Lady visits handicapped children’s institute in Dhaka
Onlanka News – By Janaka Alahapperuma
(Pix By:Chandana Perera)
Sri Lankan First Lady Shiranthi Rajapaksa visited ‘Proyash’ a school for handicapped children in the Cantonment area in the Dhaka city during her visit to Bangladesh early in the week. The First Lady visited different classrooms and academic programmes of the institute, an army-backed institute for children with special needs which has special facilities for autism victims.
Inmates of the Proyash Handicapped Children’s Institute warmly welcomed their special guest and staged a colourful performance. Children also took part in different sport events during the programmme. The First Lady interacted with the children of the institute and enjoyed a performance by them. Begum Syeda Sharifa Mubin, patron of the institution, and Brigadier-General Siddiqur Rahman Sarker, Chairman of the institution’s managing committee, were among others present at the programme.
Pictures are seen here Mrs Shiranthi Rajapaksa, inmates of the Proyash Handicapped Children’s Institute, members of the management committee and guests pose for a group photograph and First Lady talking to children.
Saima Wazed Hossain, daughter of Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina is an advisor, regular visitor and a leading supporter of this institute. She is an autism and clinical psychology specialist and a renowned campaigner in support of autistic children. Saima Wazed is also Bangladesh country representative of “Autism Speaks,” member of National Association of School of Psychologist-USA. She was in the forefront with the help of Education Ministry of introducing special rules and regulations particularly in examinations for children with autism and other mental and physical challenges in Bangladesh.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Health Minister says people seeking treatment at government hospitals have increased by 40% October 4, 2023
- Court dismisses misappropriation case against Ajith Nivard Cabraal and Lalith Weeratunga October 4, 2023
- Sanath Nishantha to pay electric bills of SLPP low-income families October 4, 2023
- Chairman of CEYPETCO and CPSTL Uvais Mohamed resigns October 4, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Nadeesha Dilhani Lekamge wins Asian Games athletics medal after 17 years October 3, 2023