Sri Lankan navy arrests 27 Indian fishermen
Sri Lankan Navy has arrested 27 Indian fishermen and seized their four trawlers after accusing them of fishing inside the country’s maritime area.
Navy spokesman Kosala Warnakulasuriya said that the Indians were arrested on Sunday night for “poaching inside Sri Lanka international maritime border limits (IMBL) off the eastern coast”.
The boats and the trawlers would be handed over to the police in the harbour town of Trincomalee later on Monday for further action, the Navy said.
Early this month, at least 40 Indian fishermen and their four trawlers were repatriated by the Navy after a similar arrest for straying into Sri Lanka’s IMBL.
Source: The Hindu
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Dengue cases increased to 78,322 December 7, 2023
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023