Sri Lankan Navy sailor dies while undergoing training in Kochi
A Sri Lankan Navy sailor died while undergoing diving training at a Naval base in Kochi, India.
The Navy said that the 39-year-old Petty Officer (Diving) YPNR Weerasinghe, while carrying out a practise dive in the Ernakulam Channel as part of routine training procedure, failed to surface.
The sailor was located after an immediate search was carried out by the attendant supervisory training staff.
“The sailor was administered prompt first aid, and evacuated to the Naval Hospital. All attempts at reviving the sailor proved unsuccessful and he was declared dead at around 3 pm,” Indian Navy said in a release.
He had been undergoing training in Kochi since April 3, it said.
The Sri Lankan authorities have been informed about the incident.
A Board of Inquiry has been ordered to ascertain the cause of the incident, Navy said.
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank warns general public over 8 pyramid-type schemes May 31, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar May 31, 2023
- Chinese reaffirms support for Sri Lanka’s economic recovery May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank to hold rates as inflation stays high May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023