Sri Lankan security troops raid Galle Face protest site, 50 injured
A tense situation is reported at the Galle Face protest site near the Presidential Secretariat as Sri Lanka Police and troops move in and remove protesters from the area during the early hours of today (July 22).
The security forces removed some tents and structures placed around the Presidential Secretariat and arrested some persons.
At least 50 protesters were injured, the organisers said, including some journalists who were beaten by security forces.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s acting finance minister says positive progress in securing second IMF tranche September 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023