Sub-Inspector arrested over involvement in evidence fabrication
Another police officer has been arrested for his alleged involvement in former Director of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) Shani Abeysekara’s forging of evidence pertaining to a firearms case.
The suspect is a Sub-Inspector attached to the Embilipitiya Police Station and a resident of Kithulanpitiya, Oluwitake.
He was summoned to the CID on Monday (03) to record a statement with regard to the incident, and was placed under arrest at around 8.25pm.
Earlier, the CCD arrested former CID Director Shani Abeysekara over allegations that he fabricated evidence in a 2013 murder investigation involving former DIG Vaas Gunawardena. He was later remanded till 7 August by the Gampaha Magistrate.
The Police Spokesman said the Sub-Inspector would be produced in the Gampaha Magistrate’s Court today.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan opposition parties sign no-confidence motion against speaker February 26, 2024
- Public Health Inspector (PHI) shot dead in Elpitiya February 26, 2024
- Sri Lanka’s justice minister assures presidential election scheduled for 2024 February 26, 2024
- Wanindu Hasaranga suspended for two matches, fined February 25, 2024
- Parliamentary committees summon CBSL officials over 70% salary increase February 25, 2024