Sunil Handunnetti named new COPE Chairman
JVP MP Sunil Handunnetti has been appointed as the Chairman of the Committee on Public Enterprises (COPE) in Parliament, Deputy Minister Ajith P. Perera said.
During the first COPE meeting of the new Parliament held today, Minister Rauf Hakeem nominated the name of Handunnetti for the Chairmanship and it was seconded by deputy minister Ajith P. Perera.
It was ratified by Speaker of Parliament Karu Jayasuriya.
Handunnetti will be the 14th chairman of the committee which is tasked with examining the accounts of the Public Corporations and of any Business Undertaking vested in the Government.
Former COPE chairmen include Jeyaraj Fernandopulle, Rohitha Bogollagama, Wijeyadasa Rajapakshe, W. D. J. Senewiratne and DEW Gunasekera.
Meanwhile Deputy Minister Lasantha Alagiyawanna has been appointed as the Chairman of the Committee on Public Accounts (COPA).
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President at COP28 urges bold action in the face of alarming climate predictions December 2, 2023
- Diana Gamage, Sujith Perera and Rohana Bandara banned from Parliament December 2, 2023
- Sri Lanka bondholders raise concerns over debt deal transparency December 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan youths get jobs in Japan under the Special Skilled Worker (SSW) visa category December 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka Secures Rs. 20 Billion from Asian Development Bank for Rural Road Renovations December 1, 2023