Sunil Handunnetti named new COPE Chairman
JVP MP Sunil Handunnetti has been appointed as the Chairman of the Committee on Public Enterprises (COPE) in Parliament, Deputy Minister Ajith P. Perera said.
During the first COPE meeting of the new Parliament held today, Minister Rauf Hakeem nominated the name of Handunnetti for the Chairmanship and it was seconded by deputy minister Ajith P. Perera.
It was ratified by Speaker of Parliament Karu Jayasuriya.
Handunnetti will be the 14th chairman of the committee which is tasked with examining the accounts of the Public Corporations and of any Business Undertaking vested in the Government.
Former COPE chairmen include Jeyaraj Fernandopulle, Rohitha Bogollagama, Wijeyadasa Rajapakshe, W. D. J. Senewiratne and DEW Gunasekera.
Meanwhile Deputy Minister Lasantha Alagiyawanna has been appointed as the Chairman of the Committee on Public Accounts (COPA).
- Litro LP Gas prices in Sri Lanka reduced from today (June 04) June 4, 2023
- Odisha train collision: Sri Lanka President expresses deep sorrow, assures support June 4, 2023
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023