Suspect arrested with 50 tear gas canisters stolen from Sri Lanka Police during protest
A 31-year-old man had been arrested with 50 tear gas canisters which were stolen from police during the protest at Polduwa Junction near Parliament on Wednesday (July 13).
The suspect was a mason by profession and a resident of Polonnaruwa was arrested in Obeysekarapura and recovered 50 teargas canisters from his residence in Borella following the questioning.
The Welikada Police has initiated investigation after a group of protesters attacked a three-wheeler belonging to the police that was carrying tear gas canisters to the Polduwa Junction protest site on July 13.
Police said a group of protesters attacked several policemen who were travelling in the three wheeler and stole tear gas canisters.
The suspect is scheduled to be produced before court today (July 18).
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023