Tamil group to break over 1000 coconuts to bless Hillary
A group of Sri Lankan Tamils in Jaffna will break over 1,000 coconuts and light as many candles to bless Hillary Clinton, saying the Democratic presidential candidate’s win would be important for the future of the minority community.
“We will break 1,008 coconuts on November 8 to bless her ahead of the US election. We expect her to win the election,” M K Shivajilingam, a Tamil National Alliance (TNA) member of the Tamil-controlled northern provincial council, said yesterday.
The event will take place in Jaffna’s historic Kandsamy Kovil in Nallur. There will also be lighting of 1,008 candles at the Jaffna Cathedral, he said.
Tamils in Sri Lanka believe they can find political solution only with the intervention of the US and Hillary’s win would be important for the future of the minority community in Sri Lanka, Shivajilingam said.
The Obama administration has extended its support to the reconciliation efforts promised by President Maithripala Sirisena to Tamils.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President appoints Deshabandu Tennakoon as acting IGP November 29, 2023
- Creditor nations likely to agree on Sri Lanka debt restructuring – report November 29, 2023
- Netherlands returns six looted colonial-era artefacts to Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023