Task Force appointed to build a secure country
A 13-member Presidential Task Force has been appointed to build a secure country, disciplined, virtuous and lawful society.
The Task Force is Chaired by the Secretary of Defence Rt. Major General Kamal Gunaratne.
The Task Force was appointed under powers vested in the President under Article 33 of the Constitution.
The Task Force is expected take immediate steps to curb illegal activities of social groups that violate the law that is emerging as harmful to the free and peaceful existence of society in some places of the country and take necessary measures for the prevention of the drug menace, prevent entry of drugs from overseas through ports and airports and to fully eradicate drug trafficking in the country and prevent other social illnesses caused by drug abuse.
The Task Force is also vested with the responsibility of investigating and preventing any illegal and antisocial activities in and around prisons.
(Source: News Radio)
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to Issue digital birth certificates May 28, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya arrested over remarks on Buddhism May 28, 2023
- Veteran Diplomat Jayantha Dhanapala passes away May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka President instructs to install high-tech scanners at BIA VIP terminal May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka to commence Cannabis cultivation project May 26, 2023
- Dr. Shafi Shihabdeen reassigned to Kurunegala Hospital May 26, 2023
Very Good! Dear Prez, When you can spell out the names of 13 TF members?
About time that these issues were acknowledged, and measures to address them are put in place.
We have suffered with an undisciplined democracy for years, and our security has been compromised.
I think we should be supportive of these incentives, however sceptical we might feel. If the task force is successful, it will benefit all Sri Lankans.
President has only been in office for just over 6 months, and he has shown true leadership and insight.
E.g. Dealing with Corvid 19 pandemic.
Backed by the military, he is steering Sri Lanka through a difficult time.
What would have happened if the previous government was still in power? Perish the thought!
The members of the TF are:
Defence Ministry Secretary Major General (Retired) Kamal Gunaratne (Head)
1. Lieutenant General Shavendra Silva (Commander of the Sri Lanka Army),
2. Vice Admiral Piyal de Silva (Commander of Sri Lanka Navy),
3. Air Marshal Sumangala Dias (Commander of Sri Lanka Air Force),
4. C.D. Wickremarathne (Acting Inspector General of Police),
5. Major General (Retired) Vijitha Ravipriya (Director General of Customs),
6. Major General (Retired) Jagath Alwis (Chief of the National Intelligence Service),
7. Major General Suresh Salley (Director of State Intelligence Service),
8. Major General A. S. Hewavitharana (Director of Army Intelligence Unit),
9. Captain S.J. Kumara (Director of Navy Intelligence Unit),
10. Air Commodore M.D.J. Wasage (Director of Air Force Intelligence Unit),
11. T. C. A. Dhanapala (Deputy Inspector-General of Police, Special Task Force of Police)
12. Waruna Jayasundara (Deputy Inspector-General of Police).
Last puppet government called it a Committee now same thing called a Task Force . Same old politic . Only the name changes and nothing happens.