UPDATE: Taxes on imported vehicles increased – P.B. Jayasundera
Sri Lanka has raised import duties on several categories of petrol-engined cars and three wheelers with steeper increases seen in larger hybrid vehicles, which had exceptionally low taxes earlier, Treasury Secretary P.B.
On petrol cars with standard engines with capacities below 1,000 cubic centimeters the effective total tax rate will go up from the current 95 percent to 120 percent.
Between 1000 to 1,600 cc the effective rate will go up from 119 to 128 percent. On three wheelers the effective rate will go up from 38 percent to 50 percent.
On hybrid cars with engines below 2,000 cubic centimeters total duties will go up from 38 percent close to 50 percent.
UPDATE: Total taxes on all petrol and diesel cars above 1600cc will remain unchanged.
Courtesy: Ada Derana
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023