Teacher arrested for punishing student
A Horana school teacher who had allegedly given 20 canings and slapped a Grade Nine schoolboy was taken into custody by the police and produced before Horana Chief Magistrate Mahinda Ranasinghe.
The female teacher was released on personal bail of Rs. 50,000 each with two sureties.
Horana police SI Wimalaratne who produced the suspect told court that the teacher had punished the student for allegedly bringing a present to be given to a schoolgirl. Police said the student had undergone treatment at the Kalubowila hospital for two days.
The teacher is a resident of Weligampitiya in Pokunuwita.
Courtesy: DM Online
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023