Thalatha wants MR probed over Rs 400 mn monument for his parents
Foreign Employment Minister Thalatha Atukorale has regretted the failure on the part of the government to have former President Mahinda Rajapaksa investigated through the Financial Crimes Investigation Division (FCID) for spending Rs 400 mn on a monument in memory of his parents put up in Tangalle.
Addressing a public gathering at Piyagama in the Balapitiya electorate on June 23, Minister Atukorale said the former President had constructed the monument in a plot of land not belonging to him. She said that her cabinet colleagues were also concerned about the FCID not inquiring into public funds spent on a private matter.
Minister Atukorale said that she wanted the former President probed by the FCID.
(Source: The Island)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka introduces insurance scheme for Animals October 1, 2023
- Niluka Karunaratne announces retirement October 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka begins system to issue e-bills for water October 1, 2023
- Person arrested over shooting of elephant “Sita” granted bail September 30, 2023
- International Commission of Jurists says Online Safety Bill is an assault on freedoms September 30, 2023