The two Sri Lankan elephants Anula and Kosala following the birth of the baby elephant.
The Higashiyama Zoo & Botanical Gardens are convinced that the birth and growth of the new baby elephant at the beginning of the new year is symbolic of the growth of the longstanding friendship between Sri Lanka and Japan.
The Higashiyama zoo last year held a commemorative event at the zoo in Nagoya to celebrate 60 years of Diplomatic ties between Japan and Sri Lanka. H.E. Admiral (Rtd.) WasanthaKarannagoda, Ambassador of Sri Lanka in Japan was the Chief Guest at the occasion.
At present there are 73 Asian elephants at 37 facilities in Japan. Of these, 8 elephants are from Sri Lanka.
Embassy of Sri Lanka
31st January 2013
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- CEB Spokesman Noel Priyantha resigns over controversial remarks February 22, 2024
- Sri Lanka settles US$ 20 million Iranian oil debt with tea February 22, 2024
- Sri Lanka’s Public Security Minister affirms continuation of operations despite pressure February 21, 2024
- Rear Admiral Pradeep Rathnayake appointed as Chief of Staff of Sri Lanka Navy February 21, 2024
- Ceylon Electricity Board to reduce electricity tariffs by nearly 20 percent February 21, 2024