The World No Tobacco Day – Get Ready for Plain Packaging
Posted in Local News
Today is the World Tobacco Day, which was declared by the World Health Organisation (WHO) in 1988 with the aim to increase awareness of the danger in tobacco and related products.
In order to free people from tobacco-related products, this year’s theme is Get Ready for Plain Packaging. According to WHO, the global tobacco epidemic kills nearly six million people each year, of which more than 600,000 are passive smokers dying from breathing second-hand smoke.
Reducing the tobacco use in the country, Director General of Health Services, Dr. Palitha Mahipala, said several programmes have been implemented to help those addicted to smoking.
(Government News Portal)
- Sri Lanka relaxes import restrictions on over 300 items June 10, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to go ahead with privatising SLT despite ‘NO’ from S.O.C. on National Security June 10, 2023
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023
the only way to stop it is to close down tobacco industries and make this world into a non smoking planet