Three inmates commit suicide as government’s crackdown on drugs continues
Some drug-addicted inmates have committed suicide within the last week due to the government’s crackdown on narcotics, Commissioner General of Prisons Thushara Upuldeniya revealed.
Meanwhile, Special Task Force (STF) personnel have been deployed to provide security to the outer perimeters of Welikada Prison, Magazine Prison and Colombo Remand Prison (CRP).
The STF personnel, along with prison, security, and intelligence officials, will search all those who enter prison premises including officials and inmates, said Upuldeniya.
With government’s continuous operations in intercepting drugs being smuggled in to prisons, the inmates who are addicted to drugs had behaved uncomfortably during the past week, he said.
Among them, three had committed suicide within the past week, according to the Commissioner General.
(Source: Ada Derana)
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023
- India’s first international cruise from Chennai to Sri Lanka to be flagged off today June 5, 2023
- ‘Sandahiru Seya Charity Trust’ donates Dialysis Machine to Anuradhapura Hospital June 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka records lowest tourism monthly income of US$ 132 Million in May June 5, 2023
- JVP asks public not to be distracted by circuses June 5, 2023
- Litro LP Gas prices in Sri Lanka reduced from today (June 04) June 4, 2023
- Odisha train collision: Sri Lanka President expresses deep sorrow, assures support June 4, 2023