Three Provincial Councils dissolved
The Eastern, Sabaragamuwa and North Central Provincial Councils were dissolved with effect from midnight yesterday at the request of Chief Ministers, and the relevant Gazette Notification was signed by the respective Governors effecting the dissolution of the Provincial Councils.
The Gazette Notification for the dissolution of the PCs has been sent to the Government Printer, Elections Commissioner Mahinda Deshapriya said.
The United People’s Freedom Alliance (UPFA) gained a landslide victory at the last election in the Sabaragamuwa, North Central and Eastern provinces in 2008.
The UPFA secured 20 seats in the NCP, 25 seats in the Sabaragamuwa and 20 seats in the Eastern Province as against the main Opposition, UNP which secured 12, 17 and 20 seats respectively. Meanwhile, North Central Provincial Council Chief Minister Berty Premalal Dissanayake yesterday told the Daily News the UPFA is confident of victory.
He said the government has launched a number of viable projects to uplift the people at grass roots level and they have no reservations over the UPFA’s victory at the elections. Eastern Province Chief Minister Sivanesathurai Chandrakanthan when contacted by the Daily News yesterday said the TMVP will contest the forthcoming Eastern Provincial Council election under the UPFA banner and its victory is a forgone conclusion.
Courtesy: Daily News
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Results of 2022 (2023) G.C.E. O/L exam released December 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka revises fuel prices from November 30, 2023 November 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka inflation rises for second month on high energy costs November 30, 2023
- ‘Palestine will win’: Sri Lanka businesses raise funds for war-ravaged Gaza November 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka President leaves for Dubai to attend the COP28 November 30, 2023