Train strike begins – SLTB employees’ leaves too cancelled – Teachers engage in a two-day strike
The strike the railway unions launched at mid-night yesterday over salary anomalies is still on. Trade unions said that the strike would be implemented uninterruptedly till the government provides them solutions to their salary anomalies.
Railway Station masters, train guards, controllers, supervisors and engine drivers are participating in the strike.
Meanwhile due to the railway strike, leave of all SLTB employees have been cancelled.
SLTB Chairman Upali Marasinghe said that all employees had been informed about this.
Meanwhile the fast-unto-death by five disabled war heroes is continuing in front of the Colombo Fort Railway Station.
Although the Ministry has decided to pay the salaries to disabled war heroes for life, these disabled war heroes are engaged in the fast-unto-death requesting that their salary be paid to their wives after their demise.
Similarly 30 trade unions including the Lanka Teacher Services Union and the Lanka Teacher’s Union will refrain from work today and tomorrow over six demands including salary anomalies.
(Source: Hiru News)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023