Travel to Tamil Nadu
Following a series of unfortunate incidents faced by Sri Lankans visiting Tamil Nadu, in particular a group of Sri Lankan pilgrims visiting the Poornimatha Church in Thanjavur in early September 2012, the Government of Sri Lanka was compelled to issue a travel advisory for Sri Lankan nationals visiting the state of Tamil Nadu.
The Government of Sri Lanka views these incidents as an aberration, and acknowledges that Sri Lanka nationals numbering approximately 200,000 who visit India every year are received warmly in India, including in Tamil Nadu.
The Government of Sri Lanka is pleased that the Government of India, in close consultation with the concerned state governments, has taken and will continue to take all measures to ensure the safety, security and wellbeing of Sri Lankan dignitaries and visitors to all parts of India including Tamil Nadu.
People-to-people contact plays an important role in the multifaceted India-Sri Lanka relationship, especially in further promoting historical, cultural and political ties as well as economic and business relations. The Government of Sri Lanka is of the view that this age-old natural process of interaction between our two peoples must flourish, unhindered.
In this context, the Government of Sri Lanka appreciates the comment made by the Hon. Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu that the state government of Tamil Nadu is determined to ensure that Sri Lankan visitors to Tamil Nadu are not harmed in any way.
The Government of Sri Lanka has received a large number of requests to lift the Travel Advisory.
The Government of Sri Lanka believes that the Travel Advisory is no longer required.
Ministry of External Affairs
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank warns general public over 8 pyramid-type schemes May 31, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar May 31, 2023
- Chinese reaffirms support for Sri Lanka’s economic recovery May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank to hold rates as inflation stays high May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023