Two Sri Lankan women nabbed with gold jewellery worth Rs.10 million
Two Sri Lankan women have been arrested at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) in Katunayake for attempting to smuggle 1.1kg of gold worth Rs.10 million into the country.
Police said that the suspects, who arrived from Singapore, were arrested by the Police Narcotics Bureau at the airport.
The jewellery was found packed in their handbags in 836 grams and 264 grams separately.
The customs officers found necklaces, bangles, earrings and several other jewellery items during the inspection, he said.
They were taken into custody following a tip-off to the PNB officers. Later the women suspects and the gold jewellery were handed over to the airport customs officers to conduct the investigations.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch new vehicle revenue license system (eRL 2.0) on October 7 October 3, 2023
- World’s leading tech companies deeply criticize Sri Lanka’s Online Safety Bill October 2, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government says No more emergency purchases of medicines October 2, 2023
- IMF unveils 16-point plan to address governance challenges in Sri Lanka October 2, 2023
- Corrupt elements use Parliament, Finance Ministry to evade taxes October 2, 2023