UN rights boss seeks international probe into Sri Lanka war crimes
GENEVA – The United Nations’ human rights chief called on Monday for an international inquiry into war crimes committed by both sides during Sri Lanka’s civil war, saying the government had failed to do its own credible investigation.
In a much anticipated report ahead of a U.N. Human Rights Council debate next month that could order action on the issue, Navi Pillay recommended an “independent, international inquiry mechanism, which would contribute to establishing the truth where domestic inquiry mechanisms have failed.”
The United States plans to propose a resolution against Sri Lanka at the meeting and Pillay’s report, based on her visit to the country last August, adds to pressure on the government.
President Mahinda Rajapaksa’s administration, in 18 pages of comments as long as Pillay’s report, rejected the recommendations as “arbitrary, intrusive and of a political nature”.
Many thousands of civilians were killed, injured or remain missing after the 25-year conflict between government forces and separatist Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) that ended in May 2009, Pillay said in her report to the Geneva forum.
She said there had been little progress in establishing accountability for “emblematic” wartime crimes, including the January 2006 killing of five students on a beach and the execution of 17 aid workers later that August.
“None of these cases has … resulted in the perpetrators being brought to justice,” she said.
Conclusions of a national Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission have been rejected or ignored, such as its finding that the army was responsible for shelling civilian areas, Pillay said.
“The High Commissioner (Pillay) is also concerned that legal proceedings have not begun against any LTTE suspect for alleged war crimes or other human rights abuses,” the report said.
Pillay also voiced concern at rising attacks by Buddhist monks on minority Muslims and Christians and at ongoing harassment of activists, lawyers and journalists.
- Sri Lanka signs agreement with RM Parks Inc to ensure uninterrupted fuel supply June 8, 2023
- Police secures court order to block NPP protest planned for today June 8, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka to face rape trial in Australia June 8, 2023
- Digital Promotion Agency to be established for introducing new App to collect data of public sector – President June 8, 2023
- SriLankan CEO believes ‘worst is over’, expects $50 Million profit next year June 7, 2023
The extinct Tamil Tigers have made a headway again. They have successfully used a tiger woman holding an important post to spearhead their campaign.
Based on this report, the imperialists and their allies are going to nail us with a resolution which authorises the Ban-ki-Moona to directly interfere in the internal affairs of the WONDER OF ASIA, our own Sinhala Buddhist Nation.
There are 3 parties involved in this so-called international investigations.
1. The Tamil Tigers supported by civilians of the North and East and by by their bretheren domiciled in white man’s lands; the Tamil Tigers who committed intense atrocities against the peasant Sinhala Buddhist population for 3 decades, the atrocities bordering on planned genocide of the Sinhala Buddhist population; the Tamil Tigers continue to be molly-coddled by the West and by Navi Pillay; not a word agaist them; not a word against the Arantalawa Massacre and countless others which were aimed at eliminating the existence of the Sinhala Buddhists in the Sinhala Buddhist Republic of Sri Lanka. Today, they are the darling boys and girls of the West and of the UN, the darling freedom fighters. The lassess who strapped gelignite to their breast are heros.
2. The Catholics and Protestants of Sri Lanka and their NGO missionaries, reaching out to the “poor” and “vulnerable” converting 2500 year old Buddhists to the White Man’s Bible. These Catholics and Protestants have no place in our society, a society which affords freedom of religions, freedom of beliefs and all other freedoms in accordance with the preachings of the Lord Buddha and Mahinda Chinthana.
3. The Muslims, they use their religion and beliefs to strangulate Sri Lankan society with commercial strangleholds. For example, the Halal Meat initiative, the Moslem traders who dominate our, the Sinhala Buddhist’s markets, are making a double buck through Halal meat certification and profits at the point of sale. Have they been mentioned in the UNHRC’s report? No way, they are darlings of the West too.
So, my dear felow Sinhala Buddhist Citizens, daily I seek solace in a bottle of Gal and that’s my life. If Miss Pillay is open to marriage, I welcome her with open arms.
Dear Lahiru, It is a very good comment on your part. But you are a bit late with your proposal to this woman since Dr.Mervyn Silva had already made it. She resembles Angry Bird to me.
Rape of Iraqi Women by US Forces as Weapon of War: Photos and Data Emerge
(ASIAN TRIBUNE) In March 2006 four US soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division gang raped a 14 year old Iraqi girl and murdered her and her family —including a 5 year old child. An additional soldier was involved in the cover-up. One of the killers, Steven Green, was found guilty on May 07, 2009 in the US District Court of Paducah and is now awaiting sentencing…. -Full Story- (beforeitsnews.com – 25/02/14) I think this women is blind and tamil tigers ORGIN.
All thoughts, angry moods are shearing with each other. Do we know how our government representatives going to face for this?
Is our country standing as one along with this?
I hope government considering a parliament committee and finding answers for each question raised by UNHCR. All political bodies, religious leaders and public representations to be attached to the same.
To learn how to answer each question will be a positive approach rather than oppose to those without proper backgrounds.