UNP marks 71st anniversary today
The 71st anniversary of United National Party (UNP) falls today. A religious ceremony to mark this occasion will be held today at Sirikotha under the patronage of party leader and Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe.
The main ceremony to mark the 71st anniversary of the party will be held on September 10 at 3 p.m. at Seevali Grounds, Ratnapura under the patronage of Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe
The United National Party was founded on September 6,1946 at Palmcourt, Albert Crescent.
The Party recorded a landslide victory at the 1947 General election under the able leadership of D.S.Senanayake.
D.S.Senanayake led the campaign to free the country from the clutches of British rule.
The UNP recorded a victory at the 1952 election and Dudley Senanayake became the second Prime Minister of the country.Thereafter,the UNP won the elections in 1960 and 1965 with Dudley Senanayake becoming the Prime Minister.
The UNP also gained power at the 1977, 1988, 2001 General elections.
(Source: Daily News – By Shiromi Abeysinghe)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Person arrested over shooting of elephant “Sita” granted bail September 30, 2023
- International Commission of Jurists says Online Safety Bill is an assault on freedoms September 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s acting finance minister says positive progress in securing second IMF tranche September 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023