UPFA MPs protest in parliament
A group of United Peoples Freedom Alliance (UPFA) MPs staged a protest inside the parliament chamber a short while ago against the Bribery Commission’s move to summon former President Mahinda Rajapaksa to record statements over various allegations levelled against him.
Protesting MPs who sat in the well of the parliament said that they will not leave the chamber until they receive a written assurance from the President and the Prime Minister through the Speaker, saying that the government will stop hunting down opposition members and former President.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Department of Examinations announced dates of Scholarship Exam, O/L, A/L March 1, 2024
- Central Bank officials summoned to party leaders’ meeting over salary hike March 1, 2024
- Sri Lanka halts free visas for long-staying Russian, Ukrainian nationals March 1, 2024
- UNFPA to assist Sri Lanka in modernizing statistical system for transition to digital economy March 1, 2024
- Sri Lanka to introduce National Cyber Security Act, establish Cyber Security Authority March 1, 2024