US citizens in Sri Lanka advised on possible political violence
The United States has issued a security message to its citizens living or traveling in Sri Lanka, in view of the forthcoming parliamentary polls in the island.
The Government of Sri Lanka has announced parliamentary elections on August 17, 2015.
“U.S. citizens are advised to monitor local media and avoid political rallies and demonstrations,” the US Embassy in Colombo said in the message.
“Even peaceful rallies and demonstrations may turn violent,” it warned.
The Australian government had also issued a similar travel advisory update recently due to the electon.
“We continue to advise Australians to exercise a high degree of caution in Sri Lanka at this time because of the unpredictable security environment.”
“We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution at this time due to the potential for demonstrations and civil unrest in the period surrounding the elections,” it has said.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023