US congratulates Sri Lanka on holding peaceful and orderly election
The U.S. Embassy in Colombo issuing a Statement on the Sri Lankan General Election said yesterday that they looked forward to partnering with the government and new parliament.
On August 5, the people of Sri Lanka exercised a fundamental democratic right and went to the polls to elect their next parliament.
The United States congratulates Sri Lanka on conducting the elections in a peaceful and orderly manner, despite the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic.
As the new parliament convenes, we hope the government will renew its commitments to building an inclusive economic recovery, upholding human rights and the rule of law, and protecting the country’s sovereignty. We look forward to partnering with the government and the new parliament.
(Source: The Island)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- IMF Team to conduct second review of Sri Lanka’s EFF program in March 2024 February 28, 2024
- Sri Lanka’s education ministry halts outdoor school activities due to heat February 28, 2024
- Santhan, released convict in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, dies due to illness February 28, 2024
- Suspect wanted over Mahabage shooting killed in clash with STF February 28, 2024
- Ronnie de Mel passes away February 27, 2024