With US involvement in covert and overt operations, a history of overthrowing democratically elected governments and placing puppets, funding of extremist groups including Al Qaeda and other religious groups, training and even arming them it should come as no surprise that even before an isolated incident is investigated, the US is quick to issue statements against countries. People should now find it easy to conclude who the real culprits are. When Navi Pillay jumps to condemn selected countries only, while nothing is issued when UK attacks 700 mosques, people cannot be faulted if they conclude that the UNHRC is hijacked by the West and its heads function as their agents. Nothing to negate this has been shown either through their statements or their actions. Why has 200 mass killings in the US since 2006 gone unnoticed? Why is the US Government under reporting these? What has the UNHRC done on drone killings of civilians, or secret detention torture centres? Why is the UN human rights head mum on these?
In the US mass killings happen every two weeks. Michelle Sisson will not reveal this.
In 2007 – at a campus an armed gunmen killed 32
In 2009 – a man enters a shopping mall and kills 8 shoppers
In 2010 – A man who was asked to resign shoots 8 of his colleagues
In 2011 – 8 people were killed outside a salon by a man holding 3 guns and wearing body armour.
In 2012 – an armed gunmen guns down 20 children, ages 6 and 7, and six adults
The violence and crimes in the US does not give any right for the US to be preaching to any country moreso when irrespective of violence at home, the US is famous for creating / engineering violence in other countries.
Some alarming facts on US:
- Over 22 million women in the United States have been raped in their lifetime.(National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey 2010)
- Every 90 seconds, somewhere in America, someone is sexually assaulted.(Calculation based on 2012 National Crime Victimization Survey. Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. Department of Justice)
- Approximately 1,270,000 women are raped each year. Another 6,646,000 are victims of other sexual crime, including sexual coercion, unwanted sexual contact, or unwanted sexual experiences. (Department of Justice 2010).
- In 2006, 78,000 children were sexually abused. (Child Maltreatment 2006.) Because majority of cases are not reported, it is estimated that the real number could be anywhere from 260,000-650,000 a year. (Finklehor 2008).
- An estimated 17,500 women and children are trafficked into the United States annually for sexual exploitation or forced labor. (U.S Department of State Trafficking in Persons Report 2012).
- There are 16 US cities that foreign Governments warn their citizens about: Avoid walking in the night in Boston, don’t got to Harlem, Times Square in New York, quarters of Washington is too dangerous in both night and day!, except downtown, Baltimore is too dangerous, no one should visit Richmond on foot,
- US DOJ Study: More Than 250,000 Hate Crimes a Year, Most Unreported
Sri Lanka is attempting to recover from 3 decades of terrorism. Solutions are elusive because the problem has not identified one single factor. Sri Lanka faced TERRORISTS and TERRORISM. Instead, since it is convenient for all the stakeholders to claim the issue is ‘ethnic’ for there is plenty of merits to delaying solving problems.
What is important to make note of is that from the time the conflict ended it was brought to the attention of the authorities that the very nations that manhandled the LTTE were using their ‘other’ friends to nurture another trouble by dividing the Muslims against the Sinhalese. In fact authorities have chosen to ignore the warning signs and allowed these groups to enter Sri Lanka and brainwash minority youths and we see the results now emerging and it is this reason that the Government is compelled into silence because it is aware of its own faults. Nevertheless, we cannot allow the future to return to the decades we lost.
We know that the hangers on in any conflict are the human rights organizations, the charities etc for most of them (at least those that are fronts of foreign governments/foreign intelligence etc) any conflict is Christmas. That is how they can campaign for funds and then spend 70% of the funds for their own personal remunerations and hardly 10% is used for the real victims. These are opportunities to prey upon the victims and get them involved into their agendas. Asian and African nations are easy prey and we have seen the consequences in most dangerous ways. If the decision makers and the news writers have been purchased it is nothing to be surprised that the world gets a one-sided version.
This is what we cannot allow to happen in Sri Lanka. This is why it is in the hands of Politicians (government and opposition) to ensure that their hunger for power and money does not compromise the country once again. They stand guilty of many crimes and they cannot fail the people once again. The people do not need bloodshed any more. The people suffered for 30 years. They must be given time and be left alone to build up their lives once again. We must allow people to build bridges. We do not need others to tell us how a bridge should be built because emotions are nothing that foreigners can steer unless it is in the wrong direction. People must not fall for these ploys.
The Government must get a hold of all foreign elements in Sri Lanka – be they in registered or non-registered form. They must ask these entities to leave Sri Lanka if they are found to be indulging in activities that are against peaceful co-existence of the people. Just because they have brought carrots that serve only politicians these nefarious organizations and their evil minds cannot be allowed to stay in Sri Lanka. They are going round the country doing colossal damage to our people.
The people must also realize that the country was built on a Sinhala Buddhist ethos and that ethos is not what the West wishes it to be. However, this ethos is not to be compromised or bargained.
Law and order to prevail, politicians must stop interfering and influencing while law enforcements too must not be influenced in other ways. Politicians need to undo the damage they have done over the years because while we blame foreign interferences for much of the trouble brewing these interferences are made possible because politicians have compromised themselves.
– by Shenali D Waduge