Veteran journalist Edwin Ariyadasa passes away
Veteran journalist and media personality Kala Keerthi Dr. Edwin Ariyadasa has passed away at the age of 99, sources confirmed.
He was also a prominent film critic, environmentalist, teacher and erudite while he had been bestowed with over 300 awards during his lifetime. He had also held top positions in various state institutions.
Edwin Ariyadasa initiated the study of Mass Communication at higher education level in Sri Lanka and formulated the first syllabus of Mass Communications at the University of Kelaniya.
He was also associated with the introduction of media studies at the Open University of Sri Lanka.
Edwin Ariyadasa is also appraised for introducing Sinhala terms ‘antarjalaya’, ‘madya rupa’ and ‘sajivikaranaya’.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023