War heroes will even be looked after retirement: President
Measures would be taken to rectify without delay the salary anomalies of war heroes who became differently abled during the war against terrorism, President Maithripala Sirisena promised yesterday.
He said that the Government had taken a policy decision to continue paying the monthly salary for the differently abled war heroes even after their retirement. He was speaking at the Gallantry Awards 2016 where the Parama Weera Vibushanaya, Weerodara Vibushanaya, Weera Wickrema Vibushanaya, Rana Wickrema Padakkama and Rana Sura Padakkama were awarded to the officers and other ranks of the Armed Forces at the BMICH yesterday.
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe, Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka, Tri-Forces Commanders, hierarchy of the Armed Forces and politicians too were present.
The President said that he was saddened to witness some persons with vested political interests using the differently abled soldiers to their advantage.
He promised that the government would look after the needs of all the differently abled war heroes.
(Source: Daily News – By Nirushi Wimalaweera)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka revises fuel prices from March 05, 2024 March 4, 2024
- Electricity tariff to be reduced by 21.9% from midnight today March 4, 2024
- Court extends enjoining order safeguarding Sarath Fonseka’s positions in SJB until March 19, 2024 March 4, 2024
- Two former Sri Lankan police officers sentenced to death over custodial death March 4, 2024
- Manna Roshan’s brother killed in Hanwella shooting March 4, 2024