Will respect any decision taken at party leaders’ meeting – President
Sri Lankan President Gotabaya Rajapaksa has informed Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe that he would respect any decision taken at the meeting of political party leaders, Prime Minister’s Office says.
People in large numbers demanding the resignation of President Gotabaya Rajapaksa and the incumbent government stormed the President’s House in Colombo Fort and occupied the premises, earlier today (July 09).
After protestors took control of the Sri Lanka President’s House, Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe moved to convene a special meeting of political parties to discuss the ongoing situation.
Prime Minister also requested Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena to summon the parliament immediately.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023