16 arrested in Katunayake brothel raid
Sixteen people including six women were arrested during a raid on a brothel in the Halgasthota area in Katunayake on Saturday, Police said.
The raid was carried out by the Western Province Anti-Vice Squad following a search warrant issued by the Negombo Magistrate’s Court.
Police said the brothel was carried out under the guise of a Karaoke centre.
The suspects were handed over to the Katunayake Police for further investigations and they were later produced before the Negombo Magistrate.
Police said the suspects were remanded till July 18.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Person arrested over shooting of elephant “Sita” granted bail September 30, 2023
- International Commission of Jurists says Online Safety Bill is an assault on freedoms September 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s acting finance minister says positive progress in securing second IMF tranche September 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023