17 university students arrested during UGC protest
Posted in Local News
A total of 17 university students have been arrested today during a protest in front of the University Grants Commission (UGC) in Colombo.
Police said that 13 students who had obstructed the arrest of an Allied Health student, for protesting in violation of a court order, were taken into custody while another 4 were held during the protest.
A group of Allied Health students as well as their parents launched the protest opposite the UGC this morning, over decision to reduce the duration of the allied health sciences degree.
- Sri Lanka Government to go ahead with privatising SLT despite ‘NO’ from S.O.C. on National Security June 10, 2023
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka must protect the right to freedom of expression June 9, 2023